Ludii Forum
3D Game Board Cube - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Suggestions (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Ludii Features / Services (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: 3D Game Board Cube (/showthread.php?tid=88)

Pages: 1 2

3D Game Board Cube - QuaGamer - 07-18-2020

When will you be adding a ludeme for a 3D Game Board cube with NxNxN cells? Each cell can be either empty or occupied by one of the players' game play pieces (e.g., circle, square or triangle if there are 3 players).

Adjacency is defined as sharing a 1x1x1 cell face with a neighboring cell.

Also, the game I want to implement in Ludii is Qua, with BGG entry: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/312939/qua. In addition to neighboring cell adjacency left-right, front-back, and above-below, there is game board cube face adjacency, where each game player has two opposite game board cube faces assigned to them. These cube faces are adjacent to the NxN cells of the game board cube that are on the surface of that cube face.

RE: 3D Game Board Cube - cambolbro - 07-18-2020

Hi,

3D game boards are in the pipeline and should be provided in a version later this year, once we work out a suitable way to unambiguously view 3D structures and allow unambiguous selection of every playable site in the GUI.

This probably won't be for at least a couple of months, but we'll keep your request in mind.

How are 3D connections handled in Qua, does it use "overpasses cut underpasses"? i.e. if player A has a connection along the board level and player B builds a bridge of connected pieces across it, such that the lower pieces are buried and Player A's lower connection is no longer visible, does that connection still count?

Regards,
Cameron

RE: 3D Game Board Cube - QuaGamer - 08-24-2020

(07-18-2020, 07:45 AM)cambolbro Wrote: Hi,

3D game boards are in the pipeline and should be provided in a version later this year, once we work out a suitable way to unambiguously view 3D structures and allow unambiguous selection of every playable site in the GUI.

This probably won't be for at least a couple of months, but we'll keep your request in mind.

How are 3D connections handled in Qua, does it use "overpasses cut underpasses"? i.e. if player A has a connection along the board level and player B builds a bridge of connected pieces across it, such that the lower pieces are buried and Player A's lower connection is no longer visible, does that connection still count?

Regards,
Cameron
In Qua, the 3D cube game board is a simple 3D matrix of cells = NxNxN cells, where N is the number of cells along each edge of the cube. Each cell is either empty or contains exactly one player's piece. Pieces don't move. When a player occupies an empty cell on their turn, that cell remains filled with that player's piece for the rest of the game. This is similar to the 4x4x4 3D game board for Qubic: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/13714/qubic.

So, no. Qua does not use overpasses cut underpasses. It does not build up from a 2D board starting point. Each of the 3 players own two opposite game board cube faces are adjacent to all the cells on those faces. Connections are based on cell face to cell face adjacency, or cell face to game board cube face adjacency. In Qua, all three players can conceivably connect their two game board cube faces without blocking each other. This is actually the objective in the "Cooperative Qua" game play variant.

For more information about Qua, please read: http://www.abstractgames.org/qua.html

RE: 3D Game Board Cube - QuaGamer - 08-29-2020

Note: 3D chess games, like 3D XYZ Chess: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/317984/3d-xyz-chess, also use this type of game board.

RE: 3D Game Board Cube - QuaGamer - 09-12-2020

I specifically would like a board ludeme called "cube" that extends the "square" ludeme.
It takes one integer parameter, which is the length of the game board in places in 3 orthogonal directions.
It has the same four regions as a square: N and S, W and E. It has two additional regions U and D for up and down in the third orthogonal direction.
Each place has the same four orthogonally adjacent places in the N, E, W, and S directions plus two new orthogonally adjacent places in the U and D directions for a total of 6 orthogonally adjacent places.
Each place in the cube has a triple as its coordinate. The first two are the same as for the square: A letter followed by a number. The new, third element of the coordinate will need its own count identifier.

For displaying a cube game board, I suggest an offset perspective view of N layers of NxN squares. Here is a notional example for a 5x5x5 cube: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t0QmRE9SvE6FF3snCLMW4D-17Q0hXRrX/view?usp=sharing

RE: 3D Game Board Cube - QuaGamer - 09-25-2020

I've looked at the Java code for ludemes. It is more complicated than what I am willing to learn right now. I will wait for a team member to write the cube ludeme.

RE: 3D Game Board Cube - QuaGamer - 10-13-2020

Has anyone on the development team started work on a "cube" ludeme? I am willing to test code and provide suggestions. For example, start simple and implement a draft face adjacency cube ludeme to work out graphics presentation challenges. You may want to wait and add edge diagonal and corner diagonal adjacency connections later.

In looking at the java code, I realize the cube ludeme probably needs its own 3D parent java modules and cannot extend the square ludeme directly.

Comment: Directional language issues are important to sort out. North, South, East, West, Up, Down makes sense in 3D. However, you already set a 2D precedent for Top=North, Bottom=South, Left=West, Right=East. I suggest when you implement the Cube ludeme (or sooner in anticipation), you replace Top with Back and Bottom with Front, so that Top can be used with Up and Bottom can be used with Down.

I also suggest Row, Column and Stack language for multiple "places" (i.e. locations/cells/vertices) and "layers" adjacent to each other in the 3rd dimension. For example, a row of layers in the West-East direction, a column of layers in the North-South direction and a stack of layers in the Up-Down direction.

RE: 3D Game Board Cube - Eric Piette - 10-14-2020

Hi Woody,

No we do not work on the 3D games right now. We are focused on the ERC project (Digital Ludeme Project) around ancient games. And of course, no 3D games in the ancient times ;)

But we will warn you when we will work on it, even if I do not think that will be in the next months.

Regards,
Eric

RE: 3D Game Board Cube - QuaGamer - 10-14-2020

Thanks for the update

RE: 3D Game Board Cube - QuaGamer - 01-10-2022

(09-12-2020, 05:06 AM)QuaGamer Wrote: I specifically would like a board ludeme called "cube" that extends the "square" ludeme.
It takes one integer parameter, which is the length of the game board in places in 3 orthogonal directions.
It has the same four regions as a square: N and S, W and E. It has two additional regions U and D for up and down in the third orthogonal direction.
Each place has the same four orthogonally adjacent places in the N, E, W, and S directions plus two new orthogonally adjacent places in the U and D directions for a total of 6 orthogonally adjacent places.
Each place in the cube has a triple as its coordinate. The first two are the same as for the square: A letter followed by a number. The new, third element of the coordinate will need its own count identifier.

For displaying a cube game board, I suggest an offset perspective view of N layers of NxN squares. Here is a notional example for a 5x5x5 cube: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t0QmRE9SvE6FF3snCLMW4D-17Q0hXRrX/view?usp=sharing
(07-18-2020, 07:45 AM)cambolbro Wrote: Hi,

Regards,
Cameron

Yes, the 3D GUI will be a challenge. Have you made any progress on this? The GUI for 3D Tic-Tac-Toe using the rectangle ludeme and avoiding layers was a disappointing implementation. However, this GUI layout does "unambiguously view 3D structures and allow unambiguous selection of every playable site" and could be a short term way to implement an initial GUI for the cube ludeme if/when added.

The cube ludeme should be straight forward to implement. It would be the union of N squares, with every playable site identified with coordinates <letter, number, layer>, where <letter number> are the square coordinates. As an initial GUI implementation, you could use the "look and feel" of the 3D Tic-Tac-Toe implementation, but map the squares in cube layers to the squares separated by .... instead of using the rectangle ludeme.

The only additional coding would be for the two new regions U and D, corresponding to layers 0 and N-1. Or am I missing something?