Ludii Forum
Error in Geister - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Game Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Error in Geister (/showthread.php?tid=695)

Error in Geister - luciolet - 08-27-2021

Hey all,

Thank you very much for implementing Geister in Ludii. I will very likely use this implementation in the future for my research.

However I noticed two issues with the game.

The starting placement of the ghosts is not restricted correctly.
The pawns should only be able to be placed in the first two lines on a player's side of the board whereas now they can be placed on the first three.
I tested a bit by editing the .lud file and think I found the mistake.

Lines 11 and 12 should read:
(regions "HomeP1" P1 (difference (expand (sites Bottom) steps:1) (union (sites Side E) (sites Side W))))
(regions "HomeP2" P2 (difference (expand (sites Top) steps:1) (union (sites Side E) (sites Side W))))

Tested it and it seems to work.

Secondly, the game does not give any indication of the color of the captured pieces. Once a player captures a piece, that piece's color should be revealed. This however goes over my ability to test as of yet sadly.
Essentially, the captured pieces should be placed in their revealed state on the side of the board.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best,

L

RE: Error in Geister - MatthewStephenson - 08-27-2021

Hi,

Thanks for pointing these out. I'll update the game for the next release.

Cheers,
Matthew

RE: Error in Geister - MatthewStephenson - 08-30-2021

Hi,

I've attached the updated .lud file for Geister. If you'd like to check it before the next release.

Cheers,
Matthew

RE: Error in Geister - luciolet - 08-30-2021

Hey,
Thanks a bunch, I will check it out asap.

BTW I noticed another bug on the Hnefatafl game as well. Units other than the Jarl/King should not be able to go on the center square which works fine but they should however be able to go through it which is not possible at the moment.
Do you want me to create a new thread for this or is mentioning it here enough?

Have a nice day^^

L.

RE: Error in Geister - MatthewStephenson - 08-30-2021

Hi,

Hnefatafl was made by other members of our team who are away at the moment, but I will pass your message on to them when they return.
If you'd like to make a new thread about this potential bug they can reply directly on there.

Cheers,
Matthew

RE: Error in Geister - luciolet - 08-30-2021

Hello again,

Tested the new file you gave me and the issues I mentioned are fully fixed.

I did notice one more thing, though it might be a necessity due to Ludii's code. The escape win condition doesn't work exactly as it should it seems. It activates when, once a blue piece is positioned on an escape square, it takes a move to the same square.
Technically the way to escape would be to take a move to the outside of the board from the escape square (maybe to an invisible square accessible only to a blue ghost from the opposite side if Ludii allows it).
To be honest I feel like I might be nitpicking a bit here but ultimately it's up to you to decide how much you care about that level of detail.

Edit: Just saw your reply about Hnefatafl, thanks for the update, will post another thread for them to be able to reply on.

In any case thanks for the fast and efficient fixes.

Best,

L.

RE: Error in Geister - MatthewStephenson - 09-06-2021

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.
Yes implementing it this way was the simplest approach, whilst still giving the same effective rules.

Cheers,
Matthew