Ludii Forum
Graphical post processing - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Suggestions (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Ludii Features / Services (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Graphical post processing (/showthread.php?tid=688)

Graphical post processing - dale walton - 08-23-2021

In some of my games, I like to highlight the ending position that caused the win or loss.

This can be done within the game rules, but perhaps there is a performance cost?  -- if so can there be a move section in the end section - or is there a standard way to do this with an ending phase of the game?

Are there examples of games which use an end phase for this purpose?
--------------------------------------
A phase before the actual end might still have overhead to the game state calculation ...  The concept is additional moves that occur after the game is decided and do not affect its outcome in any way. Just its presentation as a finished game.

RE: Graphical post processing - Eric Piette - 08-23-2021

Hi,

Yes if you do that in the rules computing the legal moves that will make the game slower (of course that depends on the ludeme you are using to compute this ending position).

I guess something we can do is to add an option to print differently the last move made when the game is over in the GUI, consequently that will not make the game slower. I am going to ask Matthew to see that and if necessary to discuss it with you.
If you do not think that's what you asked, please send us a screenshot with what you would like to highlight at the end for one game.

Regards,
Eric

RE: Graphical post processing - dale walton - 08-23-2021

Sounds about right. I was thinking about changing piece states/values that change how they appear or even adding subtracting pieces, and/or changing graphic effects like board color. - But mostly, I think selecting pieces and changing their state to change appearance.

RE: Graphical post processing - MatthewStephenson - 08-23-2021

Hi Dale,

To confirm, would you just like the ending move of the game to be visually displayed? The same as enabling the "show last move" menu option.

Cheers,
Matthew

No, I would like to change the appearance of the board and pieces after the game has ended without the players making further decisions or changing the results.

These would be a set of consequence moves without a decision move. They could be placed as conditional consequences within the game, but then they are a burden on the AI if they must be executed for every win or lose condition in the decision tree. So I was asking if it is possible to have them in an end section outside the scope of the game logic. To use in presenting the winning state more clearly, and signalling visually that the game is over.

RE: Graphical post processing - Eric Piette - 08-23-2021

Hi,

As a short answer, no we will never apply move after the end of the game (end of the game = terminal state).

However, something which should be possible for what you asked is to have a graphic metadata in which we compute the "to" positions of a set of moves generating from the terminal states. Then the GUI is using that list of "to" positions to modifying something (like drawing a specific symbol or modifying the colours of the pieces in these positions).

All of that is purely GUI and should not be in the logic part of the rules. But that's possible.
That's not our priority but I assume we can look in the future for that.
I am not in charge of the GUI of Ludii, but if I am incorrect Matthew is going to tell you :)

Regards,
Eric

I think we are saying essentially the same thing: That things not part of the rules of the game should be outside the scope of the play ludeme, and what you suggest sounds like a good way to do it. I also understand that GUI is not the main thrust of the project, but as it is one area of the project development, then within that scope Matthew might look at it.