Ludii Forum
Is there an entity for a line of movement? - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Questions (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: About the Ludii Grammar (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Is there an entity for a line of movement? (/showthread.php?tid=62)

Is there an entity for a line of movement? - dale walton - 05-29-2020

Is their an entity for each grid-line, potential line of sight (los), or of movement (lom), eg each rook file, each bishop diagonal, or potentially other angles?
Or does one need to iterate adjacencies in the same direction each time one needs to determine this?

In some cases I would like to count how many enemies can be seen along a grid line. If there is an entity for a line of movement, this would just be a count of the number of grid-lines for which the locations between the position and an enemy are all empty.

In another case I would like to create a state at cells to represent the distances to a given players pieces by order of length. and update only those on the gridlines of the to and from positions.

basically  a table of
gridline; cell; cell-seq-on-gridline; grid-seq-at-cell (i.e. == direction); type-of-line (eg. bishop, rook, queen ... line-of-movement, line-of-influence...)

Is this what is meant by "track"?
is it something that is / could be defined by default when a standard board is created?

Sorry if this is already covered in the documentation, as I am just starting here.

RE: Is there an entity for a line of movement? - Eric Piette - 06-22-2020

Not in the version 0.9.3, in the next release you will be able to use (sites LineOfSight ...) to get all the sites in the line of sight of a specified direction.
For example for the rook, you will be able to use (sites LineOfSight Orthogonal).

No the tracks are a sequence of sites used mainly for race games when the pieces have to follow it until they reach a target for example.

RE: Is there an entity for a line of movement? - dale walton - 06-22-2020

I have a game on AIAI called Archworm. The board grid is made of arcs that each contain 6 grid points. Those arcs are a kind of LineOfSight for that particular geometry. Win condition is 4-in-a-row on a line of sight when no friendly pieces are adjacent. Will 1.0.0 allow easy implementation of this concept?

I have also conceived of a Reversi variant for this geometry.

RE: Is there an entity for a line of movement? - Eric Piette - 09-06-2020

Hi,

Do you have a pic of that board?

Regards,
Eric Piette

RE: Is there an entity for a line of movement? - dale walton - 09-06-2020

This should show the sight-lines: forward left 30 degrees, and forward right 30 degrees both take a piece a distance of up to 6.

RE: Is there an entity for a line of movement? - Eric Piette - 09-07-2020

Hi,

We can currently do that board in using a tiling T33434.

But the bent line of sight is something we do not cover for now but we still consider to add that in the future.

Regards,
Eric Piette

RE: Is there an entity for a line of movement? - dale walton - 09-07-2020

Good. Archworm has a pattern goal of 4 consecutive pieces on a bent line on this board (with no friendly pieces adjacent to that pattern)