Ludii Forum
Evaluation dialog - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Ludii Player Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Evaluation dialog (/showthread.php?tid=608)

Evaluation dialog - Michael - 06-16-2021

I hope I can get away with raising multiple issues in one thread here, because these are all about the evaluation dialog.

First, a tiny interface problem: On my Mac, I'm unable to scroll or make the window big enough to see all the evaluation dimentions (I can see 16 of them, and then I can see that there's a new column that is cropped off).

Second, a problem running the evaluation: I tried to run 10 000 random games of Ex nihilo (which takes a good while) and it wasn't able to finish. The dots stopped after a while and nothing happened for a good while after that.

Third, a request for enlightenment: I don't understand what half of these metrics are, and I don't know how to make sense of a total score. Is there a place where I can find an explanation of all the metrics/dimensions of evaluation? It seems like a powerful tool, but I don't understand it well enough.

RE: Evaluation dialog - MatthewStephenson - 06-16-2021

Hi Michael,

I'm actually right in the middle of reworking the evaluation dialog and the metrics that it offers, so hopefully there should be an updated version coming out in the next release.

I'll be sure to check that all metrics fit in the dialog and that explanations are provided. I'll also check 10,000 trials with Ex nihilo as it could be that a really large number of trials cause problems.

Cheers,
Matthew

RE: Evaluation dialog - Michael - 09-19-2021

I've again tried to generate a large number of random playouts and it got as far as printing all the dots and "Calculating metrics: Duration Actions … Piece Number Average". That took many many hours (all night and more). But now it seems stuck. I wonder if it is possible to ask it to only calculate average number of moves and the number of timeas each player won. When those are the only metrics I want, it feels a bit overkill to wait that many hours.

RE: Evaluation dialog - MatthewStephenson - 09-20-2021

Hi Michael,

My apologies, we seem to have included all of the back-end metrics in the latest release by accident... If you could instead use v1.2.8 for the time being, I will fix this in the next release.

To calculate just the number of moves and number of times each player won, simply set all of the metrics on the right hand side of the dialog to zero. You can do this by just clicking the zero button next to each of them.

I would also suggest first trying a smaller number of trials to start with, like around 100 or 1000. We try to store previously run trials on our server for faster access later, but it could be that our university has a limit on this amount.

Cheers,
Matthew

RE: Evaluation dialog - Michael - 09-20-2021

The game I'm analyzing (Lielow) isn't included in the previous version, so the evaluation dialog doesn't work properly in that version (not sure if this is intended). I'll wait. There is no way to scroll on the evaluation window in the latest version, btw.

RE: Evaluation dialog - MatthewStephenson - 09-20-2021

Hi Michael,

No that is a bug! I will fix that in the next release so you can use external .lud files in the evaluation dialog.

You should be able to resize the evaluation dialog, it just doesn't look right at the moment as there are too many options in the last release....

We will probably push out a new release later this week, please try again then and hopefully everything will work correctly.