Ludii Forum
Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Game Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 (/showthread.php?tid=562)

Pages: 1 2

Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - dale walton - 05-11-2021

Hi, I revised the script, (and remove all testing for repeats and other complications) and it works until the end. - But in some games the AI hangs. stopping one pass short of completion.

At that point I can revert the game and even reload it, but afterwards, as soon as I re-initiate the AI (or try to make a manual move) the program hangs completely and must be killed from the terminal.  After restarting from the terminal the position comes up, and the last move can be made manually, (the AI can be resarted, but may hang again)

This is intermittent, but consistant for a given game/AI setting  So I saved a trial of a game that I completed manually after  the AI hang - but completed it in a win for the other player.

That in itself was surprising: it means the AI chose a losing pass move on the last successful move instead of a game-winning capture.

To reproduce the bug, please set both AI to A/B 1 second, load the trial to show a win for white, then backup  to one move before the last move before the two passes which shows a red piece that can be captured. - Then run the AI.

Dennis, I lost the trial file, that one is not the right trial,

I am trying to generate another trial with the same properties for you to see

OK, I found it and added another case, where I terminated, reloaded, backed up the game one move, and restarted the AI to get a different  8unhung result.

Note, when this is working, I do want to, instead, stop the game after a player repeats a previous position, including by passing after a pass.

I tried putting (is Repeat Situational) as the end condition, but it wasn't working - that might have been failing due to what is happening here, in this more standard ending....

RE: Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - DennisSoemers - 05-12-2021

The GUI freeze issue should be fixed in the next version.

For game logic issues related to (is Repeat ...) not working as expected/intended, I'll wait till after the weekend for Eric to be back from his holidays

RE: Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - dale walton - 05-13-2021

Thanks.

RE: Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - dale walton - 05-17-2021

1.1.19 game doesn't hang. Thanks.
Here is the End on a repeat situation version.  - it doesn't end. Two passes should count as a situational repeat.

Of course, I can make it work by adding an (allPassed) but, I don't know at this point whether (is Repeat Situational) is working at all or not. I just know that it is not working for pass moves.

RE: Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - Eric Piette - 05-18-2021

Hi,

The reason is that the (is Repeat ...) is used in the ending rules and the previous states of the games are stored before checking the ending rules. I am going to fix it for the next release but we did not look for this release, so that's normal that's the bug is still there.

Regards,
Eric

RE: Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - dale walton - 05-18-2021

OK, Great.

As a work around I could use a trigger then.... or modify the game slightly in this case, as the chance of occurrence is very low.

RE: Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - Eric Piette - 05-21-2021

Hi,

I fixed the (is Repeat ...) issue in the ending rules.
However, I would like to know why you are using situational repetition rather than positional repetition for this game? Any reason?

Regards,
Eric

RE: Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - dale walton - 05-21-2021

The concept is to end a game when a repeat occurs rather than preventing a repeat. This subsumes the 2 consecutive pass rule. and means a player needs to avoid allowing the other player to create a repeat, so it has a different dynamic.

It is not so critical in this game but is important in another of my games.

My understanding of the term "Situational" is same board position and same player to play. (No reference to previous moves, such as the value of (was Pass))

RE: Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - Eric Piette - 05-21-2021

Hi,

Ok, I now understand why you would need situational for this game.
In Ludii a situational repetition is pretty much what you describe except it really checks any game state members (score, amount, variables used in the state, previous, current and next players etc...), so to sum up, the full state.

I think for your game, it is working now in our dev version.
Please check its use in your game in the next release version before we add it to a release.

Regards,
Eric

RE: Anemone Game still hanging in 1.1.18 - dale walton - 05-21-2021

Ok, I'll do that. I also may add another scoring option, as well.