Ludii Forum
Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Suggestions (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Submit Your Games (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures (/showthread.php?tid=527)

Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - Michael - 03-28-2021

Wynd is a system of connection games that originated as a generalization of Mark Steere's Gyre. It includes Y as one of its many variations. I have implemented it in Ludii with many exciting options.

There is a problem, though, and I don't understand it. The pie rule simply doesn't work. Nothing happens when I try to swap. And the AI just hangs if swap is enabled.. If this is fixed, Luis would be glad to have the game included in Ludii.

Also: If someone knows of a way to check for the win condition more efficiently, I'd be happy to change the script. This is the current code:
Code:
(>=
    (count Sites in:("StarCells"))
    (max
        (results
                (sites Board)
                (sites Group at:(last To))
            )
            to:2
            (* (to)
                (count Sites
                    in:(intersection
                        ("StarCells")
                        (sites Group at:(from)
                            if:(not
                                (is In
                                    (to)
                                    (sites Group
                                        at:(last To)
                                    )
                                )
                            )
                        )
                    )
                )
            )
        )
    )
)
The problem is that I want (result) to include an entry for each group, but I don't know how to avoid duplicate entries. I just check the group of each relevant site, so many of those groups are the same group. Is it possible to avoid this?

RE: Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - cambolbro - 03-28-2021

Hi Michael,

Eric is away on holidays this week and will reply after Easter.

Regards,
Cameron

RE: Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - Eric Piette - 04-06-2021

Hi Michael,

It seems that's a GUI problem, I will check that with Matthew and come back to you when done.

Regards,
Eric

RE: Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - Eric Piette - 04-06-2021

Hi,

Ok the issue is fixed and the AIs seem to work fine.
I will add this game to our version for the next release.

Regards,
Eric

RE: Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - Michael - 04-06-2021

Great, thanks!

Luis just decided to rename it "Omny". I think that's a much better name. I have attached a file that replaces all the instances of the name. There are no other changes, so you could just do it on the file you already downloaded, of course. There should be 5 mentions in addition to the filename.

RE: Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - Eric Piette - 04-07-2021

Hi,

Ok I am updating the name.

Regards,
Eric

RE: Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - thorsilver - 05-05-2021

The rules for this game shown in Ludii confused me, because the star cells seem to have no purpose except in the Misere version.  So I went to BGG and found this post from Luis introducing the game:

Quote:Wynd is a drawless connection game for two players: Black and White. It's played on the cells of a finite, initially empty hexagonal tiling of any shape. An odd number of cells are marked in a special way and designated as star cells. On a hexhex board, a natural choice is to have seven star cells: the six corner cells and the single central cell.

Black plays first, then turns alternate. On their turn, a player must place a stone of their color on an empy cell. Star cells can be occupied like any other cell.

The game ends when there is a set of connected cells occupied by stones of the same color such that no set of connected cells outside of it includes a majority of star cells. The owner of the stones in the former set wins. Draws are not possible, and a board full of stones produces exactly one winner.

The pie rule is used to make the game fair.

Notes: Designating all perimeter cells plus the center cell as star points yields Gyre. On the Y or Gem-Y boards, designate all corners as star cells to replicate those games. On a slightly irregular hexhex board with sides alternating in length between n and n+1 cells, designate all perimeter cells as star points and you'll be playing Free-Y.

Now I think I understand, but the wording in Ludii is different so I'm still not quite sure how this game works.  Could you please update the rules so that the objective is clear, as is the point of the star cells?   

A sentence or two with a non-technical explanation of the goal and how it works in practice, and a couple of recommended board/star cell combinations would be helpful, I think.

The star-shaped board also causes some problems on my machine.  When I choose that option, Ludii becomes unresponsive and throws this exception:

Quote:Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.awt.IllegalComponentStateException: component must be showing on the screen to determine its location

RE: Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - Michael - 05-05-2021

Thanks for the feedback, Eric! I'll discuss it with Luis.

RE: Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - Michael - 07-15-2021

Two things:
1: In version 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 the swap rule does not work in Omny. It works fine in version 1.2.1. Can this be fixed?
2: Can you swap the colors of the players, so P1 is black and P2 is white, like in Go?

RE: Wynd by Luis Bolaños Mures - Eric Piette - 07-19-2021

Hi,

1) Fixed in dev.
2) Done.

Regards,
Eric