Ludii Forum
Recovering lost trials - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Ludii Player Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Recovering lost trials (/showthread.php?tid=437)

Recovering lost trials - Michael - 02-14-2021

I had AI play itself with 15 min. per turn in Zola, and the app froze on move 32. I haven't closed it yet. Is there a way to recover the trial?

And if I may suggest a feature in the same thread: I would love to be able to tell Ludii to automatically save every move somehow. Maybe it can overwrite the file every turn or something. It's no fun losing all those moves when it took so long to play them out.

RE: Recovering lost trials - DennisSoemers - 02-14-2021

If the app is really frozen, i.e. if the menubar buttons do not respond to any clicks... then I unfortunately can't think of anything you can do now really that would preserve the game. If the menubar buttons still work, you could just use File > Save Trial of course.

RE: Recovering lost trials - Michael - 02-14-2021

It's completely frozen.. Too bad. Is there a way I can save and update a trial automatically as the moves are made?

(02-14-2021, 07:16 PM)Michael Wrote: It's completely frozen.. Too bad. Is there a way I can save and update a trial automatically as the moves are made?

I don't believe any such options exist right now.

Ideally the app shouldn't freeze though :) I'm not sure why it would... if you happen to have animations turned on (for pieces to move gradually instead of instantly jumping), turning that off might be one thing that I could imagine helping.

If a freeze happens again... it probably doesn't print any error messages, but just in case it does, it would be good if you launch Ludii through the command line (using java -jar Ludii.jar) instead of by double-clicking; that way you'll at least be able to see the error message if any do get printed, and share them with us.

RE: Recovering lost trials - Michael - 02-14-2021

Ok. Thanks. Probably stupid question, but would that be more exactly "java -jar Ludii-1.1.14.jar" for this version? As in, the last thing is the filename? And this is the right command if I'm using OS X as well?

Err yes that would be correct. Though you could also just rename the downloaded file :) I assume that would also be the right command on OS X yes (but don't use OS X myself)

RE: Recovering lost trials - MatthewStephenson - 02-17-2021

(02-14-2021, 07:16 PM)Michael Wrote: It's completely frozen.. Too bad. Is there a way I can save and update a trial automatically as the moves are made?

Hi,

We will add a preferences option that saves the trial after every move.

Cheers,
Matthew

RE: Recovering lost trials - Michael - 02-17-2021

Thank you! That's great news :)