Ludii Forum
Inconsistent display - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Ludii Player Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Inconsistent display (/showthread.php?tid=282)

Inconsistent display - zxkyjimmy - 11-25-2020

For Surakarta, here is a trajectory.
[Image: uHO0HiB.png]

However, ...
[Image: K8q5688.jpg]

The left laptop shows a different screen without the second action.
I have no idea what caused the difference between these two screens.
I apologize for being unable to reproduce this problem; however, I'm worried about whether it will happen again during the Competition Period of Computer Olympiad 2020.
At that time, both players won't know whose screen is correct, even unaware that the problem has occurred.

Has anyone encountered this before?

RE: Inconsistent display - MatthewStephenson - 11-25-2020

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this out.

I have just checked our record of the game on our server. The move was correctly registered by the server, which means that the left laptop either missed or did not read that move correctly when retrieving it.

In general, it is possible that a move may be missed when being sent over the network, meaning that one game has more moves made than the other. However, we have checks in place to try and prevent/correct this.

I will look into this further to try and figure out what the problem might be.

If you manage to replicate the problem again please let me know, and also please include a screenshot of the Moves tab.

Cheers,
Matthew

RE: Inconsistent display - MatthewStephenson - 11-25-2020

Hi,

We have updated our Ludii warnings to try and make absolutely sure the local game for each Ludii user matches that on the Server.

From the next Ludii version onwards, when we detect that a users local instance is out of sync with the server, we will print a Warning message in the Status tab. This message will advise you to rejoin the game again from the Remote dialog, which should put your local client back to the correct state stored on our Server.
If this seems to work at preventing any out-of-sync issues, we will probably make this an automatic process in the future.

We hope to push out a new version of Ludii today with these changes.

Cheers,
Matthew

RE: Inconsistent display - zxkyjimmy - 12-01-2020

Hi Matthew,

The warning is working. :)
However, Ludii may have a new problem.

Why can I make these 2 consecutive moves?
Even if the opponent passes, I won't capture myself. :huh:

[Image: QzPagP3.png]
[Image: eioWQ4U.png]

FYI, version: 1.1.5

Cheers,
Yen-Chi

RE: Inconsistent display - MatthewStephenson - 12-01-2020

Hi Yen-Chi,

Thanks for letting us know, when you rejoined the game were you back in the correct state again?
Could you give us any extra details about how you were able to make this second move? Did you make it really quickly after the first, did you do anything strange between them, etc.

Its possible that cases like this could happen in rare situations (although we are trying to find and prevent them all), which is why we added the warning message to let you know.

Cheers,
Matthew