Ludii Forum
Ludii Java source code? - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Questions (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: About Ludii (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Ludii Java source code? (/showthread.php?tid=270)

Ludii Java source code? - xenos1984 - 11-20-2020

I stumbled across Ludii a few weeks ago and I have to say that I am pretty amazed by its abilities (having played around with writing a few game rules for Zillions of Games almost 20 years ago, and looking into the Stanford GGP topics for a few years). Also I took a look at the Ludii AI sources on GitHub and it's a really nice resource for learning about the implementation of game playing algorithms.

While trying to learn more about Ludii, the project and software, I was wondering whether the Ludii source code (so not just the AI, but also the ludeme compiler part) is publicly available or whether there are any plans to publish it.

I'm asking mostly out of curiosity, and academic interest, trying to understand how things work "under the hood". Another reason is that I'm wondering what functions like "is line" actually do - the documentation of course states that it detects whether certain pieces form a line, but it is not very verbose on how a line is actually defined (following consecutive edges in a common direction on a graph, possibly around a circle as well, or actually on a straight line in a 2D board, or something else).

RE: Ludii Java source code? - cambolbro - 11-21-2020

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

We've made most of the AI-related code public domain, but there are no immediate plans to make the core game code and game compiler publicly available.

We're slowly improving the documentation, e.g. the recently released Ludii Game Logic Guide gives a bit more detail about the inner workings of the game logic. We have other papers in the pipeline including a comprehensive paper on the system as a whole, and another paper focussing on how the board geometry is handled internally, which should be out early next year.

Regards,
Cameron

RE: Ludii Java source code? - xenos1984 - 11-21-2020

Thanks for the information!

I had a look at the Ludii Game Logic Guide already, and I'll be looking forward to the papers you mentioned!

RE: Ludii Java source code? - QuaGamer - 12-08-2020

@xenos1984, There is a lot of publicly available "under the hood" Java Source Code in the Ludii Player .jar file. If you have already read through all that, congratulations!

@cambolbro, Cameron, I read through the Ludii Game Logic Guide--thanks for releasing it! I look forward to reading your future papers on the Ludii System, especially the one about board geometry (including 3D game boards?) :-).

RE: Ludii Java source code? - xenos1984 - 12-08-2020

(12-08-2020, 06:38 AM)QuaGamer Wrote: @xenos1984, There is a lot of publicly available "under the hood" Java Source Code in the Ludii Player .jar file. If you have already read through all that, congratulations!
The whole source code would have been a bit too much to me to read so far ;) But indeed, I had a look at the contents of the .jar file once in a while, to see whether I could figure out why some ludeme was not behaving quite as I expected, and it helped me understand a few details which I had been missing. It's not quite the same as reading a commented / documented source tree, but as far as documentation goes, the Ludii Game Logic Guide and Ludii Language Reference are quite helpful, and I will hopefully be able to implement some games soon.