Ludii Forum
Issue with nested (sites Around in new game Infuse - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Game Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Issue with nested (sites Around in new game Infuse (/showthread.php?tid=264)

Issue with nested (sites Around in new game Infuse - dale walton - 11-19-2020

Attached is the start of an implementation of a new game Infuse.

It needs an iterated Step distance - which would be a nice ludeme to have, and maybe you already have a way to do it - but I have tried to implement using nested (sites Around (...))

The result partially works, but does not find every site that it is supposed to.

Is this a bug?  Do you have a simpler approach?

RE: Issue with nested (sites Around in new game Infuse - Eric Piette - 11-19-2020

Hi,

What do you mean by "an iterated Step distance"?

Regards,
Eric

RE: Issue with nested (sites Around in new game Infuse - dale walton - 11-19-2020

Move one step to empty, and repeat that n times.

No need to choose every step, as how one reaches the final destination is not important, only need to choose the final destination within that constrained distance.

The game sample I attached seems to have the limit distance correct, but is not allowing choice of every site within it. Probably a bug in my logic, - I need to allow a zero step as well, at least as an option for the second step.

RE: Issue with nested (sites Around in new game Infuse - Eric Piette - 11-20-2020

Hi,

I guess these step moves are not always in the same direction? Because that would be just a slide.
So in that case, the best would be simpler to (moveAgain) between each step, and to not be able to go back to the previous step and to stop the move clicking on the passing button for example. If some distance constraints exist, that's also possible to decrement a variable corresponding to that distance.

Regards,
Eric

RE: Issue with nested (sites Around in new game Infuse - dale walton - 11-21-2020

That is not the behavior I want, as there should be no need for the player to individually click each part of the move.  So I will keep the unrolled loop structure for now.

The path used to arrive at the destination is not important to the player, only that it is legally reachable.  This move is what I originally assumed was meant by  "Adjacent" when I first started with Ludii and the documentation did not contain any explanation of what the words meant. Of course now I know better, but it would useful to have a ludeme that selects the results of moving n times sequentially, to use when it is sufficient for the player to simply choose the end position without having to specify every point along the route to get there.

RE: Issue with nested (sites Around in new game Infuse - Eric Piette - 11-23-2020

Hi,

by "it would useful to have a ludeme that selects the results of moving n times sequentially, to use when it is sufficient for the player to simply choose the end position without having to specify every point along the route to get there."

You mean if the player can move a piece n times with a specific move (like step or even Hop), you would like all the final destinations after that sequence of move to move directly there in one move? is that right?
Maybe that would be clearer with an illustration/example of a specific case.

Regards,
Eric

RE: Issue with nested (sites Around in new game Infuse - dale walton - 11-23-2020

That's right, and the game Infuse, which I posted in this thread is a simple example. Since I found a workaround, I don't know that it is a priority.

For seeding games and capture games the sequence does matter. But, I think for simple steps-to-empty adjacent a "flood distance" makes sense.

Also could be used in Hive for spiders. And in Chinese Checkers / Halma (I expect different players might have a preference for step-by-step or single move in these)

Throngs, which I have posted about on other threads also could use this - but there is some advantage to seeing how the steps/mixed with jumps taken when they are not obvious.