Ludii Forum
Gale(Bridg-It) - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Suggestions (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Submit Your Games (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Gale(Bridg-It) (/showthread.php?tid=194)

Pages: 1 2

Gale(Bridg-It) - QuaGamer - 09-27-2020

I believe the .lud file for Gale(Bridg-It) is now ready for inclusion. See attached. I expanded board size to 8x8.

RE: Gale(Bridg-It) - Eric Piette - 10-02-2020

Hi,
I am adding it right now to our database.

I just improved your starting rules in it (see attachment).

Regards,
Eric

RE: Gale(Bridg-It) - QuaGamer - 10-09-2020

(10-02-2020, 07:58 AM)Eric Piette Wrote:
Hi,
I am adding it right now to our database.

I just improved your starting rules in it (see attachment).

Regards,
Eric
Hi Eric,
Great! I didn't know how to do that. 

Questions: 
* What is appropriate to put in info > credit? It currently says "TBD"
* Regarding graphics, is there a way to widen the yellow and blue edges along the outside of the board? I believe it would look better if they were perhaps 3 times as wide.
* I'm curious. I played the Misere option as Player 1 against the Ludii Ai = 1 bot as Player 2 and can frequently win, especially on the larger boards. Is there a bot you can suggest that would make moves in < 5 seconds and be a challenge to beat in Gale Misere?

Thanks for your help.

RE: Gale(Bridg-It) - Eric Piette - 10-09-2020

Hi,

In the credits, we expect the name (or equivalent) of the creator for the .lud file of the game.
You will see it in the next release but I put "Woody Pidcock" in credits for this lud file. 

For the graphics question, I will ask to Matthew to answer to you.
For the AI question, I will ask to Dennis to answer to you.

Regards,
Eric

RE: Gale(Bridg-It) - MatthewStephenson - 10-09-2020

Hi Woody,

Regarding graphics, is there a way to widen the yellow and blue edges along the outside of the board? I believe it would look better if they were perhaps 3 times as wide.

Yes there is, you can use the graphics metadata command:
(board StyleThickness OuterEdges 3.0)

Cheers,
Matthew

RE: Gale(Bridg-It) - DennisSoemers - 10-09-2020

> Is there a bot you can suggest that would make moves in < 5 seconds and be a challenge to beat in Gale Misere?

You can try MC-GRAVE. That AI usually performs well in these sorts of connection games (or more specifically, in any game where the outcome of a fully-played game would be identical if you were to play exactly the same moves in a different order).

If that still doesn't perform well, we'll need to do some offline training to get better AIs, but that'll take a while.

RE: Gale(Bridg-It) - QuaGamer - 10-10-2020

(10-09-2020, 08:31 AM)DennisSoemers Wrote: > Is there a bot you can suggest that would make moves in < 5 seconds and be a challenge to beat in Gale Misere?

You can try MC-GRAVE. That AI usually performs well in these sorts of connection games (or more specifically, in any game where the outcome of a fully-played game would be identical if you were to play exactly the same moves in a different order).

If that still doesn't perform well, we'll need to do some offline training to get better AIs, but that'll take a while.
Thanks! I haven't beaten MC-GRAVE 2.0 (yet)

(10-09-2020, 07:30 AM)MatthewStephenson Wrote: Hi Woody,

Regarding graphics, is there a way to widen the yellow and blue edges along the outside of the board? I believe it would look better if they were perhaps 3 times as wide.

Yes there is, you can use the graphics metadata command:
(board StyleThickness OuterEdges 3.0)

Cheers,
Matthew
Thanks Matthew. This is a nit, but can the OuterEdges be offset by 2.0? When I entered (board StyleThickness OuterEdges 3.0) it overlaps with the pieces played in the adjacent row/column.

RE: Gale(Bridg-It) - MatthewStephenson - 10-12-2020

Quote:Thanks Matthew. This is a nit, but can the OuterEdges be offset by 2.0? When I entered (board StyleThickness OuterEdges 3.0) it overlaps with the pieces played in the adjacent row/column.

Unfortunately this isn't possible directly. However, we can achieve the same effect by placing grey squares on the perimeter cells of the board.

To do that I have added this extra line to our Gale description
(show Symbol "square-alt1" (sites Perimeter) fillColour:(colour LightGrey) edgeColour:(colour LightGrey) scale:1.1)

Note that this won't work in the current released version of Ludii (1.0.7), but will work in the next release.

I have attached a picture of what the game currently looks like after applying this for you to see.

Cheers,
Matthew

RE: Gale(Bridg-It) - QuaGamer - 10-12-2020

Thanks Matthew.
That looks better. When will the next release be available?

RE: Gale(Bridg-It) - Eric Piette - 10-13-2020

Hi,

We do not have any date for the moment. Maybe end of this week or next week.

Regards,
Eric