Ludii Forum
Need help in helping getting someone started using Ludii - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Ludii Player Problems (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Need help in helping getting someone started using Ludii (/showthread.php?tid=1668)

Need help in helping getting someone started using Ludii - dale walton - 09-23-2023

Here is advice I gave someone so we could play some games, and his response:

Using Ludii:
1) download and install Java (i think Ludii requires Java v. 8 minimum but You may wish to consider later versions)
2) download and install Ludii (latest version)
3) download the script found in the forum thread item found in the link above.
4) run Java with the Ludii.jar from the directory it is in.
-- A game of Surakarta should appear in a new window
5) on the "File" tab select "Load game from file" and navigate to the directory where you downloaded the script and select it.
-- The selected game (Accrete) should appear.
6) different board sizes (as defined in the script) can be selected under the "Options" tab.

-- You can then play against yourself-- OR
7) click on either player and choose an AI (e.g. AlphaBeta) for one or both players, and how much time to give it, or choose "Human" for the player you want to play as. - Be sure to click Accept, or else you will need to redo this step
-- if one of the players is an AI and the other "Human", the AI will start automatically after the first play chosen by the human, otherwise there is an Arrow icon at the bottom of the wide format or under the board of the narrow format that you click to stat the AI.

8) For games that are included in the AP (as oppose to downloaded scripts like mine) you can load them by clicking on "Load game" under the File tab and searching the name alphabetically.
-- these games can also be played against other people if you can find someone to play with on the Ludii site (you might need to set up an appointment because ther are few people on the site.
9) to play games remotely you may need to register on the Ludii website first, then Click "Remote Play" on the "Remote" Tab.
A new window will pop up asking for user name and password to log you in. Once you log in there is a window for offering to play a game or choosing to play a game on offer.

All this is better documented in the user manuals available for download in Ludii....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Response:
Unfortunately I tried to install Java 8, and when I went to open Ludii, it said that it had not been installed correctly, and when I install Java it says that it was installed correctly, so I will not be able to try the games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What info is needed to help him get Ludii runningĀ  (I am sending him a link to the User guide, but it doesn't contain much more information.)

RE: Need help in helping getting someone started using Ludii - fredsherer - 04-04-2024

Thanks for your advices. This is what I am looking for

RE: Need help in helping getting someone started using Ludii - Alvin Mishael Halim - 04-17-2024

What link is the third step?