Ludii Forum
Fifangha - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Suggestions (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Games to Include (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Fifangha (/showthread.php?tid=1641)

Fifangha - Alain Busser - 08-13-2023

Hello,

I can read Flacourt (old French but French anyway) in the text. I had colored the special pits here:[Image: fifangha5.png]Yet after having tried the game I don't think there is any reason to keep the red pits (2nd chibon as Flacourt named them). The important pits are the ones colored blue (Flacourt named them 1rst chibon, I propose just tsibongy which is the correct spelling for chibon). The original text is here:

[Image: fifangha1.png]
[Image: fifangha2.png]
[Image: fifangha3.png]

I sum up: at the beginning of the game only the central pits are not empty, with one seed per pit. Which means that the players have 26 seeds in their hands. So the game has two phases:

• During phase 1, a move consists in taking a seed from the player's hand and putting it in a non empty pit of one's side, then if the opposite pit is not empty, take the seeds from this enemy pit then sow them beginning from the nearest tsibongy.
  • Phase 2 begins when no player has seeds in their hand (wiz after 26 moves of each player). Flacourt did not describe this phase, probably because he did not see it. In effect, it can happen before the phase 2, that one player has no seed in one's central pits so as it is forbidden to play an empty pit or begin in the rear row, this player has lost the game.

I don't know how to program this incomplete description. My beginning of work is here included (I show the tsibongys and did the start rules). Shall I invent logical rules for the phase 2? I have a clue anyway: at the beginning of 20th century, Dandouau described a game he called katra fandatsaka and which looks very much like the fifangha described by Flacourt at the middle of 17th century. So should I not program the katra fandatsaka instead and give "katra fandatsaka" as an alias of fifangha? In this game, the second phase is just sowing from one of one's occupied pit, but taking the opponent's seed to sow from the tsibongy and only the opponent's seeds.

By the way Dandouau described also a "katra Sakalava" which he thought was played only by Sakalava people (North West of the island) and is even more complicated imho. Shall I give this one as a variant of Fifangha?

Here is a text version of Flacourt's document:

Quote:Le fifangha est un jeu d'esprit, comme l'autre est d'adresse, il tient du jeu de dames et du Trictrac, on joue avec certains fruits ronds qu'ils nomment basia, sur une tablette de bois, où il y a 32 trous en 4 rangs, 16 servant à un joueur, et 16 à l'autre. Il faut avoir chacun 32 basia. Ce jeu est assez récréatif. Les premiers trous (ou cases) marqués A, sont les (premiers) tsibongy, il y en a 4. (Ces cases marquées B, sont les seconds tsibongy, il y en a aussi 4.) Celles qui sont marquées D sont les cases de derrière ou de dehors, qui sont 16.
On joue avec 64 boulettes que l'on nomme basia, lesquelles on met à un ou deux réservoirs qu'il y a à 1 ou 2 extrémités du jeu, on peut aussi jouer avec des jetons.
On garnit premièrement les 12 cases du milieu de chacun un basia (avec les 4 seconds tsibongy). Puis le premier joueur porte un basia dans une des cases du milieu (des seconds tsibongy qui sont de son côté), et prend le basia dans la case opposée à celle où il a placé son basia et le porte dans un des 2 (premiers) tsibongy qui sont de son côté. L'autre joueur a un basia dans sa main et le place dans (un des deux tsibongy, ou) une des (4) cases du milieu qui sont de son côté et prend le basia de la case opposée et le porte à un des deux (premiers) tsibongy qui sont de son côté.
Le premier joueur prend un basia dans le réservoir et le place dans une des cases de son côté, et prend le basia opposé et le porte au (premier) tsibongy de son côté, et s'il y a un basia dans le tsibongy opposé, il le prend avec ceux qui sont dans son (premier) tsibongy, puis en porte une dans le second tsibongy qui est de son côté et porte un autre dans une case et le dernier qu'il a en sa main dans la case qui suit et si, à l'opposé, il y a un basia, il le prend et le porte dans le (premier) tsibongy qu'il a de garni.
Le second joueur en fait de même de son côté et quand les tsibongy et cases de votre côté sont dégarnis vous avez perdu (et de même à l'opposé), et cela s'appelle kamou.
On ne peut jamais porter de basia dans une case où il n'y a rien, aussi quand il y a à prendre, on est obligé de prendre. Mais si les cases à l'opposé de celles où vous avez des basia sont dégarnies et que les autres cases de votre adversaire qui ne sont pas opposées à celles qui sont garnies devant vous, soient garnies, vous faites alors Mamoneatsika : vous portez un basia dans une de vos cases garnies et vous prenez (avec celui que vous y avez mis), tous les basia qui y sont et en portez un à droite ou à gauche (comme voudrez) dans la case prochaine, l'autre en suivant, jusqu'à ce que le dernier basia soit posé ; s'il y a un basia ou plusieurs dans cette dernière case vous enlevez encore tout et en garnissez une case en suivant, comme vous avez commencé, et si vous êtes au dernier tsibongy de ce côté là et qu'il vous en reste dans la main, vous en portez aux cases de derrière, et s'il y en avait tant dans votre main que toutes les cases de derrière fussent garnies chacune, de ceux que vous y auriez mis, vous porterez le reste au (premier) tsibongy suivant en continuant jusqu'à ce que vous ayez trouvé une case vide où vous laissez le dernier basia, et cela s'appelle mandria (c'est-à-dire dormir, ou se reposer).
Ce jeu est assez récréatif, et s'apprend plus facilement en jouant, que de parole.

To sum up, this description is quite compatible with the rules of katra fandatsaka which could make it an ancestor (or more likely a cousin) to bao.

RE: Fifangha - Alain Busser - 01-31-2024

Having played to this game (including with children), I came up with what seems to be the simplest rules compatible with de Flacourt's writing:

As for the last sown seed, there are 3 cases:
Case 1: it falls into an empty pit. This marks the end of a turn (this is why it is forbidden to begin a turn with an empty pit).
Case 2: it falls into a nonempty pit in the inner row such that the facing pit (in the enemy's inner row) is not empty either. In that case, one takes all the seeds from the facing pit, and sows them beginning by a tsibongy (leftest or rightest pit from one's inner row) of one's choice, in the direction of the other tsibongy.
Case 3 (all the rest): the last seed falls into a nonempty pit which is in the outer row, or such that the opposite pit is empty. In that case, one takes all the seeds from the arrival pit and sows them, one by one, beginning by the following pit (keeping the direction of sowing always the same during the turn).

At the beginning of the play, each player has 26 seeds in his store and 6 seeds on the board (one in each of the the inner pits). At his turn he takes a seed from the store and uses it as if it was the last seed of a sowing (which it is, actually). More precisely,

- one should not sow this seed in an empty pit (which means that the first player whose inner row is empty, looses the game)
- if there is a nonempty pit in the inner row, such that the facing pit is nonempty too, one must play such a pit
- if all the nonempty pits from the inner row face empty pits, one is in case 3, and sows one's own seeds from the chosen pit. In that case, one sows this way until the end of the turn (if you don't take seeds at the beginning of the turn, you take no seed during all the turn).

These rules, coherent with de Flacourt's description, are playable (as said before, even by children) except that de Flacourt did not say what happens if no inner row was emptied after the 26 turns by player. A child suggested that in that case the winner is the player who has the most seeds in his part of the board.

It is possible to adapt these rules to smaller boards, like 4×6 or even 4×4 (tested).