Ludii Forum
What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Questions (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: About Ludii (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? (/showthread.php?tid=157)

What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - QuaGamer - 09-09-2020

Can I use a JAVA IDE like IntelliJ to create a .lud file? 
What is a good .lud file to start with to create a .lud file for the game of Gale (AKA Bridg-It)? I am considering attempting to create this game in Ludii and would appreciate a pointer or two on how to get started. :-)

RE: What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - cambolbro - 09-09-2020

Hi,

Yes, you can use any text editor. 

You can also use the Ludii Editor by selecting File > Editor (Packed). This provides syntax colouring, will let you test your .lud as you edit it, and provides context sensitive help by right-clicking on ludemes.

Chapter 3 of the Ludii User Guide is a good place to get started. It shows you how to write the .lud for Tic-Tac-Toe and Amazons.

Regards,
Cameron

RE: What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - QuaGamer - 09-10-2020

I created and saved Gale.lud using the Ludii Editor. Now I want to edit this Gale.lud file using the Ludii Editor and I don't know how to do that. I don't see an option in the Ludii Editor to open a draft game file. I tried File > Load Game from File, which didn't work, probably because my draft Gale.lud file is not a loadable game.

Please help me. I am probably missing something obvious. Thanks!

RE: What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - QuaGamer - 11-09-2020

The only way I have figured out how to edit a draft .lud file using the Ludii Editor is to create a new file and cut and paste the text of the previous .lud draft into it. Is there another way?

RE: What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - cambolbro - 11-10-2020

Hi,

Good point! I think that is the only way to get an incomplete game description into the editor.

We'll add a button "Load" in the editor to load any file. This should be done next week.

Please let us know of any other features you'd like to see added or improved in the editors.

Regards,
Cameron

RE: What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - QuaGamer - 11-12-2020

(11-10-2020, 08:52 AM)cambolbro Wrote: Hi,

Good point! I think that is the only way to get an incomplete game description into the editor.

We'll add a button "Load" in the editor to load any file. This should be done next week.

Please let us know of any other features you'd like to see added or improved in the editors.

Regards,
Cameron
Another feature I would like to see in the Ludii Editor is a Debug option. It does the same thing as Compile, but logs everything it does to a file that can be reviewed to see where the compile failed.

RE: What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - cambolbro - 11-12-2020

Hi,

A similar option is already available through the Developer > Compile Game (Debug) menu item. It loads a game from file and tries to compile it with full error logging turned on.

You might have to use the console/terminal to see the error log though, so we'll update that also print the error log to file. And we'll also add a "Debug" button the editors as you suggest, that is enabled when the current game description is parsable.

You can turn on the Developer menu in the User Preferences > Advanced.

Regards,
Cameron

PS. I'll warn you that the error log is very detailed and quite complex, and it can be hard to deduce the actual error among all the noise even for us! So we'll look at simplifying the error log sometime soon.

RE: What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - QuaGamer - 11-12-2020

thanks!

RE: What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - AlekErickson - 11-12-2020

Sublime is good.

RE: What editor do you recommend to use to create .lud files? - QuaGamer - 11-13-2020

(11-12-2020, 09:47 AM)cambolbro Wrote: Hi,

A similar option is already available through the Developer > Compile Game (Debug) menu item. It loads a game from file and tries to compile it with full error logging turned on.

You might have to use the console/terminal to see the error log though, so we'll update that also print the error log to file. And we'll also add a "Debug" button the editors as you suggest, that is enabled when the current game description is parsable.

You can turn on the Developer menu in the User Preferences > Advanced.

Regards,
Cameron

PS. I'll warn you that the error log is very detailed and quite complex, and it can be hard to deduce the actual error among all the noise even for us! So we'll look at simplifying the error log sometime soon.
i turned on the Developer menu from the Ludii > Preferences > Advanced screen.
However, the only games I am allowed to select from the Developer > Compile Game (Debug) screen are the pre-loaded games. There is no Load Game from File option here.