Ludii Forum
How to return different regions depending on the player number? - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Questions (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Forum: About the Ludii Grammar (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: How to return different regions depending on the player number? (/showthread.php?tid=1537)

How to return different regions depending on the player number? - RubixOne - 04-11-2023

I need help figuring out how to return different regions depending on the. input.

Here is the base function I am trying to modify (the Two Pawns function for Yonin Shogi, which needs fixed):

(define "OnePawnPerColumn"
    (=
        (count Sites in:(sites Occupied by:#1 container:"Board" component:"Fuhyo"))
        (count Sites in:(difference (sites Occupied by:#1 container:"Board" component:"Fuhyo") (sites Column (column of:(to)))))
    )
)

I want "(sites Column (column of:(to)))" to be "(sites Row (row of:(to)))" when #1 is even.

RE: How to return different regions depending on the player number? - dale walton - 04-12-2023

The documentation shows if is valid for booleans.  I have had problems with it sometimes, but in theory:
  (if
    (= 0 (% #1 2))  // #1 is even   
    (=
      (count Sites in:(difference (sites Occupied by:#1 container:"Board" component:"Fuhyo") (sites Row (row of:(to)))))
    )
    (=
      (count Sites in:(difference (sites Occupied by:#1 container:"Board" component:"Fuhyo") (sites Column (column of:(to)))))
) ) )

If not,  you could use:

(or
    (and
      (= 0 (% #1 2))  // #1 is even   
      (=
        (count Sites in:(difference (sites Occupied by:#1 container:"Board" component:"Fuhyo") (sites Row (row of:(to)))))
    ) )
    (and
      (= 1 (% #1 2))  // #1 is odd
      (=
) ) ) )

RE: How to return different regions depending on the player number? - RubixOne - 04-12-2023

These work in theory, but if I try to compile Yonin Shogi.lud with either of these functions implemented, Ludii spits out this error message:

Unexpected syntax 'Mover' in '(% Mover 2)'.

Edit: I see what is going on. It needs Mover for the rule enforcement portion and (mover) for the modulus operation. Thanks for the help.

Edit: It works now, but now I noticed another bug, and as luck would have it, it involves the Drop Pawn Mate rule, specifically for the players who are not next in line to move.

Edit: I still can't believe it, but I actually managed to fix the Drop Pawn Mate bug all by myself:

// Fixed PlacePawn by RubixOne
(define "PlacePawn"
    (do
        (move
            (from (sites Occupied by:#1 container:"Hand" component:"Fuhyo"))
            (to (difference (sites Empty) (sites #1 "LastRank"))
                if:("OnePawnPerColumn" #1 #2)
            )
        )
        ifAfterwards:(not (or {
            (and ("IsInCheck" "Osho" P1) ("CanNotMove" P1 1))
            (and ("IsInCheck" "Osho" P2) ("CanNotMove" P2 2))
            (and ("IsInCheck" "Osho" P3) ("CanNotMove" P3 3))
            (and ("IsInCheck" "Osho" P4) ("CanNotMove" P4 4))
        }))
    )
)

RE: How to return different regions depending on the player number? - dale walton - 04-13-2023

Right. 
If using 1, 2 or (mover), use  (sites Occupied by:(player #1) ...
If using P1, P2 or Mover, use (= 0 (% (id #1) 2))

Do you need to pass Mover into the define or can you simply put in (mover) and Mover instead of #1 at the appropriate places?

RE: How to return different regions depending on the player number? - RubixOne - 05-01-2023

I solved it by just using an extra parameter for the (mover) attribute.