Ludii Forum
TibetanJiu - Printable Version

+- Ludii Forum (https://ludii.games/forums)
+-- Forum: Suggestions (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Submit Your Games (https://ludii.games/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: TibetanJiu (/showthread.php?tid=1325)

TibetanJiu - paulzyy2021 - 10-24-2022

Hi,

TibetanJiu is an ancient board game played by Chinese Tibetans.This is an 8x8 board implementation of it.
I wish I could submit it for inclusion in the Ludii player.

Best Wishes

Yanyin Zhang

RE: TibetanJiu - Eric Piette - 10-26-2022

Hi,

I added the game to Ludii for the next release.
Do you have any references to justify that this game is ancient and was played by Tibetan?

Regards,
Eric

RE: TibetanJiu - paulzyy2021 - 10-26-2022

Hi

I’m glad to show some references.
In the following links:
Tibetan chess: an ancient tradition (tibet3.com)  
Tibetan chess: a tea house tradition (tibet3.com)
These introduce some ancient Tibetan chess, including Jiu Chess.

And many articles on Jiu also mentioned that this game has a long history and is loved by Tibetan people.
Some article links are listed below:
Review of Research on Computer Games for Tibetan Chess | IEEE Conference Publication | IEEE Xplore
Strategy research based on chess shapes for Tibetan JIU computer game - IOS Press

There are also a large number of Chinese documents, which I will list if necessary.Unfortunately, the exact time of Jiu has not been clearly recorded.
I hope the content I provide is useful.

Regards
Yanyin Zhang

RE: TibetanJiu - Walter.Crist - 10-27-2022

(10-26-2022, 11:53 AM)paulzyy2021 Wrote: Hi

In the following links:

And many articles on Jiu also mentioned that this game has a long history and is loved by Tibetan people.
Review of Research on Computer Games for Tibetan Chess | IEEE Conference Publication | IEEE Xplore
Strategy research based on chess shapes for Tibetan JIU computer game - IOS Press

There are also a large number of Chinese documents, which I will list if necessary.Unfortunately, the exact time of Jiu has not been clearly recorded.

Regards
Yanyin Zhang
Hi Yanyin,

I'm the anthropologist on our project, who is deciding what historical information gets put into our database for the historical analysis.

We are trying to be as precise as possible when adding traditional games into Ludii, by implementing rules that are described as played in a particular place and time, and using exactly the rules that are reported.

The article Strategy research based on chess shapes for Tibetan JIU computer game that you sent provides us with information to add a version of Jiu, since they describe that they observed people playing it in Tibetan Qiang Prefecture. We would prefer if it specifically said when they observed it, but we can infer it was sometime around 2018, when they published their article. Their version differs from yours in some ways, since it is on a 14x14 board, and does not include the Flying Stage. So, to include Jiu in our database for historical research, we will implement this version.

Your sources have been very helpful, as I see there are links to other articles with more information about different Tibetan games that I will follow up. We do already have Mimang ("Mig Mang" in our database, based on sources from the nineteenth century).

If you find anything that has sources which describe specific rules played by people in a specific place, please do send those to us! 

Thanks,
Walter

RE: TibetanJiu - paulzyy2021 - 11-04-2022

(10-27-2022, 11:53 AM)Walter.Crist Wrote:
(10-26-2022, 11:53 AM)paulzyy2021 Wrote: Hi

In the following links:

Regards
Yanyin Zhang
Hi Yanyin,

I'm the anthropologist on our project, who is deciding what historical information gets put into our database for the historical analysis.

We are trying to be as precise as possible when adding traditional games into Ludii, by implementing rules that are described as played in a particular place and time, and using exactly the rules that are reported.

The article Strategy research based on chess shapes for Tibetan JIU computer game that you sent provides us with information to add a version of Jiu, since they describe that they observed people playing it in Tibetan Qiang Prefecture. We would prefer if it specifically said when they observed it, but we can infer it was sometime around 2018, when they published their article. Their version differs from yours in some ways, since it is on a 14x14 board, and does not include the Flying Stage. So, to include Jiu in our database for historical research, we will implement this version.

Your sources have been very helpful, as I see there are links to other articles with more information about different Tibetan games that I will follow up. We do already have Mimang ("Mig Mang" in our database, based on sources from the nineteenth century).

If you find anything that has sources which describe specific rules played by people in a specific place, please do send those to us! 

Thanks,
Walter
Hi Walter

Thank you very much for your careful research on the origin of JIU. Once I find new and reliable information, I will present it to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Yanyin